Friday, October 3, 2008

Field Trip


Hey All! Happy Fall to those in the wonderful state of Utah (and for the rest of you, I'm sure it's still nice and warm wherever you are)! I was able to take one of my classes to a really cool art exhibit today and I wanted to share the experience with you.

This class is for struggling readers, so they are the ones that hate school and are struggling with everything going on. We are research
ing things asking the question: "What makes things better?" They get to pick a topic and then research it using that question. I have some kids looking at awesome, super-fast cars, and some looking at cell phones--so it's pretty neat. (I know...that's a nerdy teacher thing to say!)

An exhibit came to the art museum with all of Di Vinci's sweet inventions. Did you know he invented scuba diving, helicopters, tanks, and dangerous war weapons HUNDREDS of years before the technology was available to make his designs? TALK ABOUT BRILLIANT!

Anyway...it was really interesting for these kids, because everything was hands-on! They got to try the inventions and see how they worked, and they got to build some of the inventions by looking at Di Vinci's patterns too! I was so touched as these kids were actually working together and getting excited about learning. I know...that's nerdy too, but I almost feel like this proud mother watching her children do something successful. :) Anyway...here are some pics...

6 comments:

Camille Kenyon said...

Cute Nikki! I don't think it is nerdy at all - I love that you want the kids to progress, I would want you to teach my children any day!! I love you doll! Lets get together soon - and yea for you teaching track too, you go girl!!

brett and carly said...

That is way cool! I think it's awesome that you get to be such a positive influence on the lives of kids... especially when some of them really lack that at home!

Melissa said...

I'm sure there are days that are not rewarding at all, but it sounds like you had such a gratifying day. That must be such a good feeling to see them wanting to learn, and getting excited about it, too! You're so cute-and I would venture to guess you are a very good teacher, too!

Unknown said...

What a good little teacher you are! How fun!

Christy said...

That is why we teach, right? It is worth all the planning and correcting papers!

Cathy Lloyd said...

Can I come to your class? Puleeze? I'm sure they love you!