Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Adventures of Mommy and Cache (and Dad)

Hello. This has been quite a week of adventures for the Crandall Clan. One day, while Wes was at work, he found a dead cow in the field. This is the 5th dead cow in 10 days, so Wes and his dad needed to take it to the lab to see what the problem was. So Wes came in and asked me if I wanted to go on a little ride. I'd been in the house all day, so I said YES!! Little did I know he was recruiting me for corpse duty...

So we pack Cache into the truck and we start down the road. Then Wes starts explaining that he will get in the tractor and I'll follow in the truck and he'll just load the cow up and we'll be on our way. Ok...I thought we were just getting out of the house--but this is the way most of our adventures start.

Well, we finally get to the field where the cow is. Cache has been snoozing peacefully. Wes hooks these enormous chains to the dead cow's legs. Now mind you, this cow is bloated!!! He heaves the beast into the air and proceeds toward the truck that Cache and I are in. This huge, dead, dangling cow is bobbling towards us and I just kept thinking, Please let this fit in the back of the truck. Wes lifts the cow up and tries to get it into the bed. Her limp, dead head keeps whacking the tailgate and I am dying. I just know she won't fit and her head is going to get stuck somewhere on the top of the truck.

Finally, Wes succeeds in getting the cow into the bed of the truck. Let me remind you--she is bloated and all of her legs are poking out in different directions from the bed. So here is a mother and her child barreling down the road, with four giant legs and hoofs wobbling at passerby's. People are gaping as we drive past. This is just the beginning my friends... Now, the stench is quite remarkable. So much so, that Cache starts screaming his head off and I am gagging. Now I am trying to balance a tippsy bloated cow that is rocking back in forth like a turtle stuck on her back, and shush the baby. I can't wait to get out of the truck. So much for "getting out of the house." Now do you see how tough we are? We are cowboys and we start our kids off early. :)





Then....we went to Wyoming for the first time with Cache out of the belly. He did really well for a long car ride. He slept the 3 hours (with a brief pause for nourishment), and then just chilled up in the beauty of the ranch. It was a good week. Cache has started doing this hilarious face as he looks around and tries to figure out the world. In this picture, he looks like mini-me doing his little face. :) We love this little guy!

11 comments:

Deanna said...

Looks like Cache is practicing up for his first debut of "MAGNUM"...

THat's quite the adventure!!!

Did you get that CD of pictures yet?

Jessie said...

Nik, you make me laugh so hard!!! :) I TOTALLY understand your story! Bron and I went to the vet once with a cow... and it died while we were there. We had to miraculously drag the thing back onto the trailer with a chain THROUGH the door of the trailer and the truck at a totally weird angle. I can think of a few others. We totally need to swap stories. I can't believe a COW fit into the bed of a pickup and YOU drove it around! That's too funny! One story for the books for sure. P.S. Lovin' the last pic of Cache.

Jessie said...

P.S. Bron says your story sounds like a normal day. haha

Matt & Katie said...

Oh my gosh! Seriously, those pic's are the funniest thing ever! Cowboy Cache is starting early! What a cutie.

Mauri said...

totally laughing that you took pictures of the dead cow!!! that's why i love you! and i need to come love on that babe again!

Melissa said...

HILARIOUS! I loved this story. by the way, what was wrong with the cows? I liked "the square" post, too. Seriosly, those boys poop and pee incessantly when they are uncovered :) It's taxing on a mother and father.

Cathy Lloyd said...

Hilarious! I envy your adventures! Enjoy that darling Cache!

collinanddani said...

Gross. Ok so my family could not stop talking about Cache. It's not fair that they get to hang out with him and I don't! Nicole said that he is so cute and his binkie makes him look like he is talking. I'm thinking we should do a Halloween party again. You guys up for it?

Christy said...

Ha Ha! I loved your story! So funny! Hope you enjoyed Wyoming. I love it there!

collinanddani said...

We are still in stupid Houston. Bah. But we are leaving next Sunday and you can bet your life that I will be over there soon to see that little boy! (and you guys too)

Cari said...

This story is hysterical!! Still chuckling... And I love the pic of you holding your nose, and seeing the cow in back,...legs pointing in every direction. Then Cache howling... Great story Nikki. HUGS