Friday, August 20, 2010

Wyoming



I'm always talking about "going to Wyoming" and I realized I have never detailed what that exactly means. Wes has to change the water in the various fields we own up there so that the grass keeps growing and the cows keep eating. :) Sometimes we move cows, sometimes we build fence, but most of the time...we just relax. I think I man the house so that an infestation of rats and mice don't take over. That's my role. We actually spend a lot of time up there since Wes's sweet Grandpa passed away over a year ago.

Then during the fall, Wes's whole family is up there enjoying the cooler weather. We work the cows and eventually ween them and send them back to Utah, so it's a big task. Wes's dad was up with us part of the week this week and Cache loved playing with him. When Wes and Calvin would go to leave, Cache would scream and bawl because he thought he was one of the big boys.

Wyoming will always hold a special place in my heart because it is such a HUGE part of our lives. When Wes and I were freshman in college, he took me to the Wyoming ranch for the first time. I think that trip was when I started falling in love with him. It was a rare thing to see an entire family working hard, side by side, and enjoying it! Plus, Wes was a real-life COWBOY! I continued to go with his family even when Wes was gone on his mission.

Then after we were married, the first summer we spent in Wyoming was magical because I was really a part of the ranch now. I learned how to open all the different kinds of gates which brought me great pride (though, now I come to think of it, I think Wes just didn't want to get off of his fourwheeler), I learned how to change the water and build dams, and I even tried my hand at roping a fake cow in the horse pasture.

My second summer I was GREAT with child and still enjoyed Wyoming, but maybe not as much. I was fat and huge and was terrified of the mice. I think it was because I couldn't move away from them fast enough. I'd have to tap two sticks together or make weird noises to scare them away so that I could go to the bathroom at night. But I still enjoyed being up there.

This summer was different again. Cache joined the ranks and we have had a blast with him up there. His wonder and awe remind me of my first time on the ranch. Wes is always telling me about stories and memories he has from up there with his cousins and family. I hope my kids have that same great memory pool to chose from. :)

Top Sixteen Things I love about Wyoming:

16. Wes helping me with dishes at every meal. We talk and laugh the whole time.
15. Rainstorms. I cuddle up in the house all day.
14. The Kirby vacuum. The thing's 4000 years old and it's sucking things up like it was built yesterday.
13. Lazy Mornings!
12. Jack the dog playing "peek a boo" with Cache while we are in the fields.
11. NO MAKE-UP!
10. The mice (especially when they are in the trap)--We found one in the bathtub this time.
9. The air (sweet and usually mildly windy).
8. Time fades away. You don't know if you've been up in Wyoming for a day or six weeks...it doesn't matter.
7. Sunsets, sunrises, sun days. Gorgeous view. Always.
6. Fourwheeler rides. We can spend hours together on the fourwheelers. Cache LOVES THEM! (he thinks he can drive, but his arms don't reach both handlebars!)
5. I actually cook good meals. I enjoy doing it.
4. I have time to tickle, snuggle, and play with Cache and Wes. All day.
3. Reading time! I get a whole book done when I'm up there.
2. Grandma Dolores' stationary. She has gold "C" seals that I can put on my envelopes, people!
1. A reminder that family and nature is a miraculous beautiful gift from God.

It's heaven. I truly love Wyoming.
















7 comments:

The Mills said...

How fun, wow I haven't been up there forever!

Jen said...

That is so great that you get to be part of the hard work and fun that go along with ranching! I'm glad that Cache will grow up with those experiences as well.

Matt & Katie said...

I feel like I need to take a nap now because it sounds so relaxing and nice up there! Fun to see the pics! I think its time for Cache to start wearing cowboy hats! He is so cute :)

Jessie said...

Cowboys are so easy to love. I'm glad you found one. And the lifestyle is just irrisistable! I loved reading your description: pure paradise. I remember you coming back to college and gushing about it. Now it's yours too! And best of all, Cache's. Love those pics.

Jennifer said...

I love it! What a great life that would be:) I'm afraid I'll always be a "city girl", lol. I love the picture of Cache asleep in I'm assuming Wes's arms, SO PRECIOUS!!

Deanna said...

ahhhh. That made me so homesick I cried! Beautiful pictures. Good times, good times. :)

Christy said...

Love, love, love the pics! We loved going up there this summer as well! So many good memories! The only bad thing...hearing the mice running around in the walls at night and making scratching noises right by my head...CREEPY!!! Otherwise...HEAVENLY!