Thursday, December 9, 2010

{Reflections on Learning}

I've had a few days to think about my education and the blessings that have come from the chances I had to pursue English Education. I can't think of any other job I would rather have than teaching (besides being a mom) and I am so lucky that I had the opportunity to do it.

I think I am always going to be a life -long-learner. I had the amazing opportunity to get my reading endorsement (which I just completed! Yeah!) and this has taught me so much about different children and their talents and skills and disabilities. I think the thing I've learned the most through all my education and teaching is that everyone just needs a little love. Love can make people open up and start anew and find power and confidence within themselves that no form of pedagogy skill can inspire. I think that's THE REASON I loved getting better at my job. I got to love those kids every day and learning new skills just made it easier to help them and love them.

So...next on the agenda? I don't know. I think maybe a masters in educational pedagogy? Maybe learning how to sew a decent quilt? Skills that will help me be a better wife and mom (like cooking and getting laundry folded on time?)? My passion is people and learning. I find myself constantly wanting to master new things and understand and learn how things work. I can't picture myself hanging tight for too long. :) Somedays I am crazy because I don't just sit still...but I think that's the beauty of the gospel as well. We get to take everything we learn and understand with us into the eternities...so it's kind of fun to fill up my brain with as many different subjects, ideas, and topics as I can.

Why am I writing about this? I don't know. It is neither organized nor revised (shame on me, right?), but I think I just needed to express my love and gratitude for a Heavenly Father who allows us to develop and use our talents to help others in this world. My teaching has hopefully touched lives. But I know the skills I have help me in my marriage and with Cache everyday. I hope that as I continue to learn new things that I will be better able to inspire, lift, help, and encourage...MOSTLY LOVE...those around me every day. Anyway...there you have it. :)

3 comments:

Jessie said...

You're awesome, Nik! You nailed it. It's the same reason I love teaching violin lessons... it's a challenge in creativity to teach it so that they all of a sudden "get it". So much fun! I think you're much more of a go getter than I am. I'd be really impressed with a quilt. You're a great mother. I know it! Don't stress about the laundry. It's a 2-3 day ordeal around here. :)

brett and carly said...

I loooooove you! You are amazing and I love your ambitions. I feel a lot like you. I want to keep growing and learning. (Actually, if you want to read about the most amazing mother/home keeper, read Chapter 9 of the Ezra Taft Benson Biography by Sheri Dew.)

You rock :)

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. So many of them mirror my own. I love learning and teaching too. It's a good thing we get to do a lot of both as mothers!